Thursday, July 5, 2012

Facing My Face

When we were at the book signing last week, a woman from the university was there and she was going to write an articlr about the event, so she interviewed me and took some pictures of me and the fam, she sent me the pictures the other day and this is one of them, imagine my dismay at this horrific image of myself, I really felt like I was smiling with my whole mouth at that moment and yesterday, I let it start to get to me, believing myself disfigured and ugly so, last night as I worked on getting ready for bed, I told myself to stop being silly, I looked at myself in the bathroom mirror and did not see an ugly woman staring back at me, I saw a woman who gave birth to a beautiful baby girl while having a stokeand lived to tell the talr. I saw a woman who gets stronger everyday, both physically and emotionally, and that woman is not ugly, there is nothing ugly about her. I saw all of the lessons I've learne about myself in the last 8 months, I saw all of the great things I have. for the first time in my life I think I actually saw myself, the way others see me and it's a pretty nice view,

2 comments:

  1. You. Are. Beautiful. Your whole family is gorgeous. Keep on keepin' on, sistah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the picture is lovely, Liz. And it's okay to keep mourning what was...that doesn't mean you aren't embracing what is. There is nothing ugly about the woman in the picture - you are right. She is strong. She is beautiful. She looks different than before, but beautiful none the less.

    ReplyDelete