Thursday, April 12, 2012

Graduation Day...

...sort of. I kind of graduated grom speech therapy today as Annie, my super speech therapist, feels that I'v come to a point where she's having a hard time finding ways to challenge me, so my time with Annie is close to it's end, which is sad because I not only think that she's great at her job but I also like her personally, I have fun during our sessions. And I can see the biggest difference because of what we've done together. When I first started meeting with Annie, I felt pretty brain dead, demoralized because I no longer felt intelligent, when I met with her for the first we did a few exercises so she could evaluatewhere I was at and I did pretty well on all of them, it was the first time in months that I felt like my brain was still operational, I left that session feeling good. We worked on math and counting change, which is something I have to do at my job and not only do I think my math skills, which were sub-par to begin with,have improved because of all of the math stuff we do and that makes me feel pretty damn good when I can do arithmetic easily in my head, always a difficult task. my whole face moves now thanks to the electrical stimulation we di so I no longer droopy. I can now drink without drbbling liquid all over the place. And I am no longer self-conscious about my speaking voice, my voice now fluctuates enough that the peoplwho know me well say that I now sound like ,myself again, so in speech therapy I have overcome any of thr things that lowered my self-esteem as a result of the stroke. I can also werte legibly with my right hand, not my dominant hand, so I am now a more funvtional human being than I was because of Annie..So, if you are reading this, please know you make a huge difference in people's lives and I am so lucky to have worked with you. I can never thank you enough for your time and attention.

1 comment:

  1. When my mother-in-law spent several months in the hospital, I was awed and suddenly (achingly) aware of excellent health-care providers and the angels they become for those they help. It sounds like Annie has been that kind of angel for you. Keep going, Liz. I follow your blog and continue to cheer for you.

    ReplyDelete